Kalaiyar Kovil is a palace which is situated in Sivaganga District,
Tamil Nadu, India which was ruled by the Maruthu Pandiyar Kovil is owned
by the family of the Rajah of Sivaganga. It is run by their devasthanam,
and a trust of the zamindar family of Devakottai.
On 25th June 1772, the Company forces under Col. Joseph Smitt and Cap.
Bonjour marched towards Kalayar kovil. The second king of Sivaganga,
Muthu Vaduga Natha Thevar (1750 – 1772) and Maruthu brothers defended it
bravely. Rajah Muthu Vaduganatha Thevar in anticipation of the English
invasion made every possible preparation for defense. But the brave
Rajah Muthu Vaduganathar with many of his solders fee dead in the
kalaiyarkoil battle. The invading English forces plundered kalaiyarkoil
and collected jewels worth 50,000 pagodas. Kalaiyarkoil temple belongs
to Sivagangai Devasthanam.
Kalaiyar Kovil derived its name from the Kaleesarar temple of the place.
Kalaiyar is a corruption of the word Kaleeswaran. During the Sangam
period, this place was known as Kaanapair as is seen from the 21st verse
in the purananooru sung by Iyur moolakizar, a poet of the Sangam period.
In the 9th Century A.D. Saint Sundara moorthy nayanar described the
presiding deity in his devotional songs as Kaalai. Since then the deity
was known as Kalaiyar with the Tamil or suffixed to it denoting respect.
The temple came to be known as Kalaiyar Kovil and later adapted to the